Research: Henry Ogden Avery

| June 23, 2011

Henry Ogden Avery was a talented architect who was born in 1852. Mr. Avery became the first professor of architecture at Columbia University in 1881. He died unexpectedly in 1890 and his parents, Mary Putnam Avery and Samuel Avery, donated their son’s book collection to Columbia University. His book collection was extensive and consisted of about 2,000 architecture, archeology and art books. The Averys also donated their son’s original drawings to the library. Click here to see a portrait of Henry Ogden Avery.